March 6 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm PST
NATO: Does It Still Matter?
NATO, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, was formed in 1949 to “guarantee the freedom and security of its members through political and military means.” More specifically, to “promote democratic values and enable members to consult and cooperate on defense and security-related issues to solve problems, build trust and, in the long run, prevent conflict.”
Seventy-three years later, many are wondering whether it’s time to look at the organization’s effectiveness. At this high-level discussion we hope to hear as many thoughts as possible. If there is enough interest, we’ll schedule follow-up conversations to explore NATO from the angles getting the most interest from across the political spectrum.
Join us as we ask:
- Does NATO still have a purpose in today’s world? If so, in what situations?
- How effective is it in those situations, if at all?
- What is (or should be) NATO’s role in maintaining peace around the globe?
- In conflicts, how do you think NATO should deal with countries with nuclear weapons?
- Does NATO have value beyond peacekeeping?
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
Helpful Preparatory Information:
– What Is NATO (https://www.nato.int/nato-welcome/index.html)
– Ukraine conflict: What is Nato and how has it responded to Russia’s invasion?
Sign up through this event’s link or at a chapter near you:
Atlanta, GA: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-GA-Atlanta
Austin, TX: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-TX-Austin
Chicago, IL: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-IL-Chicago
Columbus, OH: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-OH-Columbus
Mesa, AZ: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-AZ-Mesa
New York City: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-NY
Portland, OR: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines
Raleigh, NC: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-NC-Raleigh
San Francisco Bay Area: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-CA-SanFrancisco
Southern Oregon: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-OR-Medford
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don’t miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
• Instagram @crossingpartylines
• Twitter @crosspartylines
• Facebook @crossingpartylines