February 26 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm PST
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Saturday, repeating until March 26, 2022
‘On Tyranny’ Democracy Circle Book Club
Everyone and all points of view are welcome. Everyone will be heard to their satisfaction.
- We want to support democracy.
- Authoritarianism and tactics that undermine and destroy democracy are happening in the USA and around the world. At this critical time, voting, the foundation of democracy, is threatened.
- We want to develop the Democracy Circle process as a reproducible practice and tool for democracy movements around the world.
- We will educate ourselves about steps to take to protect and nurture democracy by holding a 10 week Democracy Circle Book Club.
- We will read and discuss two chapters a week from the book, ’On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons From the Twentieth Century’ by Timothy Synder
- We will use a powerful dialogue process (Empathy Circle) that is based in and supports democracy to discuss the issues.
- We will divide into democracy circles of 4 to 6 participants.
DATES: Saturdays, January 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar 5, 12, 19, 26
TIME: 2 pm – 4pm PST (2hr) (the last 20 min will be for a full group debrief. You do not need to attend that.)
DROP-IN: Attend when you can. No obligation to attend all meetings. Do come on time since the rooms will close once we go into breakout circles.
WHERE: Zoom Room: https://zoom.us/j/9896109339
RECORDING: Circles will be recorded and posted to social media for educational and promotional purposes.
TO PREPARE CHECKLIST
- 1. Signup RSVP: http://bit.ly/RSVP-OnTyranny
- 2. Obtain a copy of ‘On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons From the Twentieth Century’ by Timothy Synder, $8.00. http://bit.ly/TyrannyBookClub Graphic Edition: https://j.mp/3DWn4H1
- 3. Review the HOW TO EMPATHY CIRCLE process http://bit.ly/EC-How
- 4. More info contact: EdwinRutsch@gmail.com
SATURDAYS DATES – READ CHAPTERS – VIEW VIDEO
Jan 22 (Prologue, Ch. 1-2)
World Times: https://j.mp/3yuRizQ
LESSON 1: Do not obey in advance – https://youtu.be/9tocssf3w80
LESSON 2: Defend institutions – https://youtu.be/BtS3M_paWhI
Jan 29 (Ch. 3-4)
World Times: https://j.mp/3DPiVVa
LESSON 3: Beware the one-party state – https://youtu.be/sTtFTo4lJ14
LESSON 4: Take responsibility – https://youtu.be/ysCCEuMC6xo
Feb 05 (Ch. 5-6)
World Times: https://j.mp/30pNyTp
LESSON 5: Remember professional ethics – https://youtu.be/F75dhfkXjw8
LESSON 6: Be wary of paramilitaries – https://youtu.be/2NUHKa4SFUA
- LinkedIn Event: https://j.mp/3oVmyER
- Facebook Event: https://j.mp/3IQcfKc
- RSVP: http://bit.ly/RSVP-OnTyranny