June 17 @ 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm EDT
Redefining Freedom and Democracy: A Civic Season Conversation
Join the host of the popular Clubhouse room History Club, and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History “Made By Us” project to continue the conversation on what a Civic Season between could do to spark historical inquiry and civic action – and dig deep into the past and present of what freedom means to us all. Who defines freedom? How have groups claimed it for themselves over time? And what actions can we take that shape the future of our democracy, with “liberty and justice for all?”
Questions we’ll explore:
- What does freedom mean to you?
- How do the holidays and milestones in this season – Juneteenth, July 4th, the 26th Amendment – hold “freedom” in different ways?
- What freedoms remain to be embodied?
- What will you do next to support freedom? Where will you start?
- What does the daily practice of spreading freedom look like for you?
- Where do individual and collective actions overlap to shape the future of freedom in our democracy?